- Bartholomew Lane
- South out of Lothbury to Threadneedle Street at No.63, on the east side of the Bank of England. In Broad Street Ward.First mention: S. ed. 1598, p.141.In the 14th century, viz. in 1308, 1348 and 1366-7, it seems to have been called "St. Bartholomew the Less Lane" (q.v.).Hatton, writing in 1708, describes it as a considerable street, 85 yards long. But at this time and until the latter end of the 18th century, it was quite a narrow lane. The northern end was taken down and widened during the enlargement of the Bank of England 1766-86, and the Bank now occupies the whole of the western side of the street. The southern end was not widened until towards the middle of the 19th century, about 1840, when the church of St. Bartholomew was taken down for the erection of the New Royal Exchange. Named after the church of St. Bartholomew by the Exchange, which stood at the south-east corner of the lane.Tessellated pavement found here, 1841.
A Dictionary of London. Henry A Harben. 1918.