- Port of London Authority's Warehouses
- At the northern boundary of Portsoken Ward and extending into Bishopsgate Ward Without (P.O. Directory).Former names : " East India Warehouses" (Greenwood, 1827). " Cutler Street Warehouses" (O.S. 1848-51). "London and St. Katherine's Dock Co.'s Warehouses" (O.S. 25, in 1880).In Horwood's map, 1799 the site seems to be partly vacant and the warehouses in course of erection.They occupy the site of many small Courts and alleys demolished for their erection: Bartholomew Court; Crown Alley, Petticoat Lane; George Court, Gravel Lane; Hand Alley; King's Head Court; New Court, Harrow Alley; Olive's Court (?); Pease Porridge Alley; Pump Yard; Vine Court; Woolpack Alley.It will be seen that the various names given to the warehouses from time to time lave been derived for the most part from the owners of the property, and the present designation came into use when the Port of London Authority was created and took over the various Dock Companies' undertakings in 1909.New buildings being erected for the Authority between Seething Lane and Tower Hill, 1915.
A Dictionary of London. Henry A Harben. 1918.