- Queen Victoria Street.-
- West from the Mansion House to Blackfriars Bridge (P.O. Directory). In Cheap, Cordwainer, Bread Street, Queenhithe, Castle Baynard, and Far ringdon Within Wards.Construction recommended 1861 and provided for in Metropolitan Improvement Act,. 1863. Opened, 1871. Nearly two-thirds of a mile long.Numerous Courts and alleys, as well as streets of a larger extent, were swept away for its formation. Amongst those which had occupied the site previously were Five Foot Lane, Dove Court, Old Fish Street Hill, Lambeth Hill (part), Bennet's Hill (part), St. Peter's Hill (part), Earl Street, Bristol Street, White Bear Alley, White Horse Court.Considerable difficulties were experienced in the formation of the street owing to the steep gradients from Upper Thames Street to Cheapside. In some cases the existing streets had to be diverted in order to give additional length over which to distribute the differences in level. The net cost was over £1,000,000. Subways for gas and water were constructed under the street and house drains and sewers below these. Further below are the railway lines.At the eastern end of the street the pavement of a Roman bath was found embedded in the valley of the Walbrook. It is now in the Guildhall Museum.Named after Queen Victoria.
A Dictionary of London. Henry A Harben. 1918.