- Baynard's Castle Wharf
- South out of Thames Street at Baynard's Castle, in Castle Baynard Ward (W. Stow, 1722). In the parish of St. Andrew Wardrobe and St. Bennetts, Paul's Wharf, part of and belonging to a place called Baynard's Castle, containing on the north side 40 ft., on the west side fronting a new street leading from Thames Street to the river, and on the south side extending to the river, in length from north to south 106 ft. and in breadth along the south side from near Mr. Barwell's Tower to Baynard Castle Staires, 45 ft. 32 Chas. II. 1680 (L.C.C. Deeds, Harben Bequest, 1600-1700, No. 11).The site is easily identified, as being on the boundary of the two parishes, and lies west of the present Castle Baynard Wharf, at the southern end of Addle Hill. The site is occupied by a Timber Wharf and Yard in Rocque. The Staires seem to have lain to the west of the wharf. The new street may have been Anchor Lane, afterwards Anchor Wharf (q.v.).Called "Baynard's Castle Bridge," in 1670 (See Baynard's Castle).Possibly occupied the same site as "Castle Baynard Dock," mentioned 1275-6 (Cal. L. Bk. B. p. 257).Site now occupied by "Anchor Wharf" (q.v.).
A Dictionary of London. Henry A Harben. 1918.