- Alderman Stairs
- On the Thames at East Smithfield, between Miller's Wharf west and Carron Wharf east.First mention: Rocque, 1746.Forms of name: " Alderman Parsons Stairs" (Rocque, 1746-Elmes, 1831). " Parson's Stairs" (Horwood, 1799-Greenwood, 1827). "Lady Parson's Stairs" (Elmes, 1831). " Alderman Stairs" (O.S.). " Person's Yard " (Strype, ed. 1720).Name derived, as Elmes (Topographical Dictionary, 1831) suggests, from a former owner.Sir John Parsons was Alderman of Portsoken Ward 1687. Humphrey Parsons, Alderman, 1721-41, and Sir John Parsons, Fishmonger, M. 1704, is described as a son of ... Parsons of St. Katherine's, Brewer (Strype, ed. 1720, II. Bk. V.p. 152).
A Dictionary of London. Henry A Harben. 1918.