- Smart's Key
- On the south side of Thames Street, fronting the river, east of Billingsgate, in parish of St. Mary at Hill in Ward of Billingsgate, on the boundary of the ward and parish (S. 207-Elmes, 1831).First mention: " Mr. Smerttes key," 1512-13 (Records of St. Mary at Hill, p.283) Smarte's Key," 1559-60 (Ct. H.W. II. 673).Made a general place for lading and discharging goods 1559 by Act of Parliament. Width 27 ft.Its position is not quite accurately given in all the maps, being placed further east in O. and M. 1677, and Rocque, 1746, etc., the site of Smart's Key in these maps being occupied by "Great Dice Key."So named of Smart, some time owner thereof (S. 207).Now belongs to the Commissioners of Customs, and the site is covered by the Custom House.
A Dictionary of London. Henry A Harben. 1918.