Swan Alley, Court
   West out of Old Change to St. Paul's Churchyard (Strype, ed. 1720 and 1755).
   Named after the Publick House there, called the Swan.
   Site rebuilt for business purposes.

A Dictionary of London. . 1918.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Swan Alley —    1) In Birchin Lane (Strype, ed. 1755 Boyle, 1799).    Not named in the maps.    2) On the west side of Bishopsgate Street, south of Gresham College, extending to Broad Street. In Broad Street and Bishopsgate Wards (O. and M. 1677).    In… …   Dictionary of London

  • Little Swan Alley —    1) West out of Little Bell Alley, then north to the Ward Schools and Cross Key Court (O.S. 1880). In Coleman Street Ward.    First mention: Rocque, 1746.    Former name : Swan Alley, 1668 (Tradesmen s tokens, Burn, p. 186).    Site now… …   Dictionary of London

  • Black Swan Alley —    1) South out of London Wall at No. 43, in Coleman Street Ward, near the eastern boundary of the ward (P.O. Directory).    First mention: Rocque, 1746. Name derived from the sign.    2) South out of St. Paul s Churchyard at No. 21, to 7 Little… …   Dictionary of London

  • Black Swan Alley, Cannon Street —    See Black Swan Court …   Dictionary of London

  • Swan's Nest Court —    On the west of Little Bell Alley, a new passage up steps into Great Swan Alley; well built and inhabited (Maitland, 775).    The Swan s Nest public house was in the court and seems to have been situated on the banks of the Walbrook (1868)… …   Dictionary of London

  • New Court —    1) East out of Angel Alley. In Bishopsgate Ward Without (London Guide, 1758 Elmes, 1831).    The site is now occupied by Liverpool Street Station and the railway lines.    2) West out of St. Swithin s Lane at No.6 (P.O. Directory). In Walbrook …   Dictionary of London

  • Green Dragon Court —    1) West out of St. Andrew s Hill at No. 11 (P.O. Directory). In Farringdon Ward Within.    First mention: Lockie, 1810.    Former names : Canterbury Court. Scallop Court (O. and M. 1677 Horwood, 1799). Swan Alley (Strype, ed. 1720 Boyle, 1799) …   Dictionary of London

  • Black Swan Court —    1) South out of Cannon Street, west of Lawrence Poultney Lane. In Candlewick Ward (P.C. 1732 Boyle, 1799).    Former name : Black Swan Alley (O. and M. 1677 Strype, 1720).    The site has been rebuilt and is now occupied by warehouses and… …   Dictionary of London

  • Nightingale Court —    West out of Swan Alley, East Smithfield (Horwood, 1799 Lockie, 1810).    Former name: Swan Court (Rocque. 1746 Lond. G. 1758).    Removed about 1827 for the formation of St. Katherine s Docks and the adjacent warehouses …   Dictionary of London

  • Sun Court —    1) North out of Little Swan Alley. In Coleman Street Ward (Horwood, I79Sun CourtO.S. 1848 51).    Rebuilt about the middle of the 19th century.    2) East out of Ivy Lane, in Farringdon Ward Within (Strype, ed. 1720 and 1755 Boyle, 1799).… …   Dictionary of London

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”