- Bell Court
- 1) West out of Foster Lane, in Aldersgate Ward (Horwood, 1799-Lockie, 1816), north of Bell Square.Site covered by Old General Post Office Buildings, erected 1825-9.2) South out of Bell Alley, Golden Lane. In Cripplegate Ward Without (Rocque, 1746-Elmes, 1831).3) East out of Bell Yard, Carter Lane, in Castle Baynard Ward (O. and M. 1677-O.S. 1875).4) In Bow Lane (Boyle, 1799).Not named in the maps.5) East out of St. Katherine's Lane, East Smithfield (Lockie, 1810 and 1816).Former names : "Bell's Alley, Bell Alley " (P.C. 1732-Boyle, 1799).Removed for the formation of St. Katherine's Docks, etc.6) West out of Walbrook at No. 3 (P.O. Directory). In Walbrook Ward.First mention: Lockie, 1810Formerly known as "Bell Inn" (O. and M. 1677-Hatton, 1708). Near the Stocks Market.Name derived from the Inn.7) North out of Cannon Street, between Abchurch Lane and Nicholas Lane. In Candlewick Ward (O.S. 1875 and 1880).Former name : "Bell Alley," temp. Q. Eliz. (Proc. in Chancery, p. 191) to Boyle, 1799.Perhaps named after the Bell tavern in Canwike Street in parish of St. Mary Abchurch, mentioned in 38 H. VIII. 1547 (L. and P. H. VIII. D.S. XXI. Pt. 2, p. 415).The tavern is in Langbourn Ward (Strype, 1720).The site has been rebuilt and is now occupied by warehouses and offices.8) East out of Milton Street, in Cripplegate Ward Without (Boyle, 1799-O.S. 1880).Former names : "Bell Alley" (Strype, ed. 1720). "Great Bell Alley" (ib.).Rebuilt and now called Sydney Avenue (q.v.).9) East out of Mincing Lane. In Tower Ward (Boyle, 1799-Elmes, 1831).Former name : "Bell Yard" (O. and M. 1677-Strype, 1755).Name probably derived from "le Bell," an Inn in Mincing Lane which belonged to St. John's Monastery, Colchester.See Le Bell.10) In Little Moorfields, Fore Street, in Cripplegate Ward Without (Elmes, 1831).No other reference.11) West out of Bishopsgate Street in Bishopsgate Ward Without. Opposite Bethlem Churchyard (Strype, 1720-P.C. 1732).The site is now occupied by Broad Street Station.12) North out of Fenchurch Street at No.164 (P.O. Directory). In Langbourn Ward.First mention: Lockie, 1810.Former names : "Bell Yard" (O. and M. 1677, Strype, 1720, and W. Stow, 1722). "Bell Alley" (Rocque, 1746-Boyle, 1799).There was a messuage called the Bell and the Cheker in the parish of St. Dionis Back-church in Fenchurch Street in 21 Eliz. (1579) (Lond. I. p.m. Br. Rec. Soc. III. p. 9).Probably the Court derived its name from this sign.13) In Gracechurch Street (Elmes, 1831).Not further identified.Perhaps = Bell Yard (q.v.).
A Dictionary of London. Henry A Harben. 1918.