- Tenter Street, Goodman's Fields
- The four streets of this name called respectively:"Tenter Street North," " Tenter Street South," " Tenter Street East," " Tenter Street West," enclose a square on the site occupied in former times by Goodman's Fields, and were in course of erection in 1848-51 (O.S.). Rocque's map, 1746, and Lockie, writing in 1810, represent the site as a " Tenter Ground " entered by 39 Prescot Street, and it is shown in Horwood's map, 1799, as an open space, still unbuilt on.It seems more than probable that this land is identical with the property occupied by Benedict Spinola in 1574, consisting of 8 acres, which he converted into tenter yards and gardens (Strype, 1720, ii. 14).
A Dictionary of London. Henry A Harben. 1918.