- Tower Hill
- North and west of the Tower, west from the Minories and south to Tower Bridge (P.O. Directory). In Portsoken Ward in its original extent (S. 125), now in the Tower Liberties.Earliest mention: " Tourhulle," 16 Ed. III. (Anc. Deeds, B. 2322).Called "Great Tower Hill " from Trinity Square south to Thames Street (Lockie, 1810-1912).The Abbey of St. Mary Graces was on Tower Hill and the Abbot was called sometimes the "Abbot of Tourhill"(Arnold's Chr.).Encroached on in Stow's time by garden plots and houses (S. 131).Separated from the jurisdiction of the City by Letters Patent, Jas. II. (Britton and Brayley, p.196).Place of execution. Scaffold removed about the middle of the 18th century.Widened and extended under Met. Streets Improvement Act, 1883, completed 1887.George Street absorbed into it Dec., 1911.Remains of the old Roman Wall have been discovered here to the north of the Tower 110 ft. long and 25 ft. in height from the old surface level.
A Dictionary of London. Henry A Harben. 1918.