- Tower Liberty
- Tower and fortifications with Tower Hill of the ancient demesne of the Crown with jurisdiction and privileges distinct from and independent of the City.Boundaries presented by a Leet Jury 1525 and again as surveyed by Haiward and Gascoyne, 1597, extended from the Water-gate next the Ram's Head in Petty Wales, north to the end of Tower Street and thence to the mud wall called Pike's Garden near the Crutched Fryers (by Muscovy Ct.), east to the Wall with 9 gardens above the Postern and the Broken Tower to the middle of Hog Lane (Royal Mint Street), and south to the stone corner and the Thames (Britton and Brayley's Tower of London, p.193-4). Letters Patent Jas. II. definitely separated the Liberty from the jurisdiction of the City, including within it Little Minories, Old Artillery Ground, and Well Close (Britton and Brayley, p.196, and Bayley II. cxviii.).
A Dictionary of London. Henry A Harben. 1918.