Walkeden's Alley
   Occupied part of the site on which the first Royal Exchange (q.v.) was erected.
   Named after a merchant, Jeofirey Walkeden (Gent. Mag. Lib. XV. 336).

A Dictionary of London. . 1918.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Royal Exchange —    Between Cornhill South and Threadneedle Street north, in Broad Street and Cornhill Wards (P.O. Directory).    The first building was erected in 1566 and opened 1570 (S. 202). For the convenience of merchants and bankers.    Destroyed in the… …   Dictionary of London

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”