White Bear Alley
   West out of Addle Hill, with a passage north to Church Hill, in Castle Baynard Ward (Rocque, 1746-L. Guide, 1758).
   Former name: "White Bear Court" (O. and M. 1677-Strype, 1755).
   Site now occupied by Queen Victoria Street.
   Name derived from the sign.

A Dictionary of London. . 1918.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • White Bear Alley, St. Katherine's —    West out of Red Cross Street (Rocque, 1746).    Name probably derived from White Bear Brewhouse (Surv. of St. Katherine s, 1686. Sloane MS. 3254, A.1).    Site seems to have been rebuilt before 1799 …   Dictionary of London

  • White Bear Alley, Rosemary Lane —    See Bell Alley, Little Tower Hill …   Dictionary of London

  • White Bear Alley, Court, Aldgate High Street —    See Saville Buildings …   Dictionary of London

  • White Bell Alley —    North out of Great Eastcheap, east of St. Clement s Lane. In Candlewick Ward (O. and M. 1677 Strype, 1755).     Bell and Bear Alley in Rocque, 1746.    Removed for the formation of King William Street, or perhaps earlier.    Name derived from… …   Dictionary of London

  • White Bear Court, Aldgate High Street —    See White Bear Alley …   Dictionary of London

  • Bell and Bear Alley, Great Eastcheap —    See White Bell Alley …   Dictionary of London

  • Alley Mills — Infobox actor name = Alley Mills imagesize = 240px caption = Alley Mills at the 1989 Emmy Awards with Dan Lauria The Wonder Years . birthdate = birth date and age|1951|5|9 location = Chicago, Illinois, U.S. deathdate = birthname = othername =… …   Wikipedia

  • Bell Alley, Little Tower Hill —    North out of Little Tower Hill, east from the Minories (O. and M. 1677).    Earliest mention: The Bell on Tower Hill in 31 Henry VIII. 1539 (Letters and Papers, Hen. VIII. Dom. S. Vol. XIV. ii. p. 21).    Possibly called White Bear Alley in… …   Dictionary of London

  • Paddington Bear — Paddington Station: Bronze statue of Paddington Bear, by Marcus Cornish …   Wikipedia

  • Saville Buildings —    North out of Aldgate High Street. In Portsoken Ward (Lockie, 1810 O.S. 25 in. 1880).    Former names: White Bear Alley (O. and M. 1677 Horwood, 1799). White Bear Court (Boyle, 1799).    Removed for the erection of Aldgate Station. Probably… …   Dictionary of London

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”