White Bell Alley
   North out of Great Eastcheap, east of St. Clement's Lane. In Candlewick Ward (O. and M. 1677-Strype, 1755).
   "Bell and Bear Alley " in Rocque, 1746.
   Removed for the formation of King William Street, or perhaps earlier.
   Name derived from the sign.

A Dictionary of London. . 1918.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Bell Alley, Little Tower Hill —    North out of Little Tower Hill, east from the Minories (O. and M. 1677).    Earliest mention: The Bell on Tower Hill in 31 Henry VIII. 1539 (Letters and Papers, Hen. VIII. Dom. S. Vol. XIV. ii. p. 21).    Possibly called White Bear Alley in… …   Dictionary of London

  • White Bear Alley, Rosemary Lane —    See Bell Alley, Little Tower Hill …   Dictionary of London

  • Bell and Bear Alley, Great Eastcheap —    See White Bell Alley …   Dictionary of London

  • White Lyon Court —    1) East out of Little Bell Alley, in Broad Street Ward (P.C. 1732 Elmes, 1831).    The site is now occupied by offices and business houses.    2) South out of London Wall. In Coleman Street Ward (Strype, 1720, and Rocque, 1746).    The site is …   Dictionary of London

  • Persia White — Born Persia White October 25, 1972 (1972 10 25) (age 39) Miami, Florida, U.S. Occupation Actress, singer Spouse Saul Williams (m. 2008–2009) «s …   Wikipedia

  • Cock Court —    1) South out of Ludgate Hill at No. 19, in Farringdon Ward Without (Hatton, 1708 Elmes, 1831).    A passage, 40 ft. wide, was made out of the Court into Blackfriars 1760.    Called Cock Alley, 1760 (Gent. Mag.).    Now St. Martin s Court… …   Dictionary of London

  • Crown Court —    1) South out of Cheapside at No. 64, next to Sir John Bennett s (P.O Directory). In Cheap Ward.    First mention: O. and M. 1677.    Probably named after the house called the Crown occupied by a Mercer, temp. H. VIII.    See Crowned Seld.… …   Dictionary of London

  • Mulberry Court —    North out of Great Bell Alley to White s Alley. In Coleman Street Ward (Strype, ed 1720 O.S. 1848 51).    The site has been rebuilt and a new street now connects Telegraph Street with Moorgate Street Buildings, in place of Mulberry Court.… …   Dictionary of London

  • New Court —    1) East out of Angel Alley. In Bishopsgate Ward Without (London Guide, 1758 Elmes, 1831).    The site is now occupied by Liverpool Street Station and the railway lines.    2) West out of St. Swithin s Lane at No.6 (P.O. Directory). In Walbrook …   Dictionary of London

  • Baker Prize — The IEEE W. R. G. Baker Prize Award was created from a donation from Dr. Walter R. G. Baker (1892 1960), a member of Institute of Radio Engineers. The award continued to be awarded by the IEEE Prize Papers/Scholarship Awards Committee for the… …   Wikipedia

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”