- White Horse Alley
- 1) South out of Holborn, east of Fetter Lane, in Farringdon Ward Without (O. and M. 1677).See Stoke's Court and The White Horse.2) East out of Bishopsgate Street, in Bishopsgate Ward Within (O. and M. 1677), leading into Little St. Helens.In the Vestry Minutes of St. Helen's it is recorded that a door was to be made to the street going into "Whyt Horse Ally" to be kept locked at dark, the inhabitants to have keys, 1685 (Cox, p.109).There does not seem to be any such passage in Horwood, 1799, or in the later maps. Site rebuilt as offices and chambers, etc.3) In Fenchurch Street (Strype, ed. 1755-Boyle, 1799). Not named in the maps.4) In Great Eastcheap (Strype, ed. 1755-Boyle, 1799). Not named in the maps.5) North out of Chick Lane, in Farringdon Ward Without (O. and M. 1677-Strype, 1755)."White Horse Yard " in Hatton, 1708.Site now covered by Charterhouse Street and the London, Chatham and Dover Railway lines.
A Dictionary of London. Henry A Harben. 1918.