- Aldersgate Ward
- One of the twenty-six wards of the City, on the northern side, bounded on the east by Cripplegate Ward, on the south by Farringdon Ward Within, on the west by Farringdon Ward Without, and extending north to the borough of Finsbury. It is divided into an Inner and Outer Ward, the southern portion within the City walls being called Aldersgate Ward Within, and the northern portion outside the walls, Aldersgate Ward Without. There is only one Alderman for Aldersgate Ward.First mention found in records: "Ward of Aldreidesgate," 1285 (Cal. L. Bk. A. p.209) Called, "Ward of John Blakethorn," 1277 (Cal. L. Bk. B. p.265). Taking name of the north gate of the City (S. 305). In Stow's time it contained five parish churches: St. Anne and St. Agnes; St. Leonard, Foster Lane; St. Mary Staining; St. John Zachary; St. Botolph, Without Aldersgate. Formerly also the Collegiate Church of St. Martin le Grand. Of these churches only two remain, viz. St. Anne and St. Agnes, and St. Botolph, Without Aldersgate, the others having been destroyed in the Great Fire 1666 and not rebuilt. The parish of St. Leonard, Foster Lane, was united to Christ Church, Newgate Street, that of St. Mary Staining to St. Michael, Wood Street, and that of St. John Zachary to St. Anne and St. Agnes. See note on Wards.
A Dictionary of London. Henry A Harben. 1918.