- Black Swan Court
- 1) South out of Cannon Street, west of Lawrence Poultney Lane. In Candlewick Ward (P.C. 1732-Boyle, 1799).Former name : "Black Swan Alley " (O. and M. 1677-Strype, 1720).The site has been rebuilt and is now occupied by warehouses and offices, etc.2) Out of Old Change, 1665 (L. and P. Chas. II. IV. 363).No later reference.3) In Bartholomew Lane (Dodsley, 1761).Not named in the maps.4) North out of Great Tower Street, at No. 61, east of Mark Lane, in Tower Ward (Strype, ed. 1720-Elmes, 1831).Former name : "Swan Court" (O. and M. 1677).Name derived from the tavern there.Site now covered by Byward Street (q.v.).
A Dictionary of London. Henry A Harben. 1918.