- Boar's Head Court
- 1) East out of Gracechurch Street at No. 80 by Leadenhall Market (Elmes, 1831).First mention: "Bore's Head Court" (O. and M. 1677).Site now occupied by offices and chambers, etc.2) South out of Fleet Street at No. 66 and west to Bolt and Tun Inn, in Farringdon Ward Without (P.O. Directory).First mention: "Boar's Head Alley," c. 1570 (Noble, p. 109). "Le Bores Hed Alley," 31 Eliz. (Pat. R. p. 7). "Boreshead Court" (O. and M. 1677).Named after the "Boreshede" (q.v.) near Water Lane, which belonged to the Carmelite Friars in 1442.Two inhabitants of the alley were presented in a Ward Inquest of 1595 for not having chimneys in their houses (Trans. L. and M. Arch. Soc. N.S. III. (1), p. 62).Name derived from the sign.3) In Barbican, in ward of Cripplegate Without (P.C. 1732).Not named in the maps.The "Bore's Head" is mentioned in the circuit of St. Giles' parish, 1720 (Strype).
A Dictionary of London. Henry A Harben. 1918.