- Boss Alley
- 1) South out of Thames Street to the Thames. In Queenhithe Ward (Agas, c. 1570-Boyle, 1799). Between Trig lane and Blackboy alley. Called "Boss Lane" (S. 364).Absorbed in Trig wharf in the 19th century.So called of the Boss of water placed there (q.v.).2) North out of Thames Street at No. 97, east of St. Mary Hill. In Billingsgate Ward.First mention: Strype, ed. 1720-Elmes, 1831."Bos Aley" (Records of St. Mary at Hill, p. 380), 1537-8. "bosse alye," 1502-3, ib. p. 248. "Bosse Alley" (S. 210).Named from a Bosse of spring water continually running standing by Billingsgate against this alley, erected by the executors of Richard Whittington (S. ib.).Site now occupied by the Coal Exchange.
A Dictionary of London. Henry A Harben. 1918.