- Bread Street Ward
- One of the twenty-six wards of the City, bounded on the north by Cripplegate and Farringdon Wards Within, south by Queenhithe Ward, west by Castle Ward, east by Cordwainer Ward.First mention: 1285 (Cal. L. Bk. A. p. 209).Mentioned in 1278 as "Ward of William de Durham" (Cal. L. Bk. B. p. 277-8).See Wards.The ward has undergone material alterations by the formation of Queen Victoria Street and by the western extension of Cannon Street.In Stow's time it possessed four parish churches, viz. : All Hallows, Bread Street ; St. Mildred, Bread Street ; St. John the Evangelist ; St. Margaret Moses.Of these All Hallows and St. Mildred, Bread Street, alone remain with Cordwainers' Hall to ornament this ward.Named after the principal street, Bread Street, intersecting the ward from north to south.
A Dictionary of London. Henry A Harben. 1918.