- On the south side of Upper Thames Street, at No. 48 (P.O. Directory). In Queenhithe Ward, between Broken Wharf and Queenhithe Wharf, near Bread Street Hill.First mention: A messuage, two cottages and a wharf called "Broke Wharffe alias Bockyng Wharffe" in parish of St. Michael at Queenhithe, 23 H. VIII. 1531 (L. and P. VIII. V. 286).Later records : In the next year the wharf by the name of "Brookes Warfe" alias "Dockynges Wharfe" was granted to the Knights of St. John of Jerusalem (24 H. VIII. and P. V. 581). "D" probably an error for "B."After the dissolution of the monasteries it was granted to Thomas Broke, 36 H. VIII. 1544, described as a great messuage in the parish of St. Michael Queenhithe extending from Poddyng Lane West to the tenement of St. Mary Graces Abbey east and from Tymberhithe streate to the Thames, with the structures therein known as Marolowes Key, Dockinges Key and Brokes Key (L. and P. H. VIII. XIX. (2), p. 69)."Brook's Wharf," 1678 (L. and P. Chas. II. XIX. p. 627). In Strype called "Brookers Wharf."There can be little doubt that these names commemorate the various owners, who held the wharf or wharves from time to time, as it was the common practice for these wharves to be designated by the names of their respective owners.
A Dictionary of London. Henry A Harben. 1918.
Look at other dictionaries:
Brook's Wharf Lane — South out of Upper Thames Street at No. 48, leading to Brook s Wharf (L.C.C. List, 1901). In Queenhithe Ward. First mention: Strype, ed. 1755 … Dictionary of London
Siston Brook — Coordinates: 51°25′36″N 2°29′18″W / 51.4268°N 2.4883°W / 51.4268; 2.4883 … Wikipedia
Lyon's Wharf — 0n the Thames, between Broken Wharf west and Brook s Wharf east (O.S. 1880). A large house for stowage of come lately built at Queenhithe. Sir John Lion Grocer, Mayor 1554, gave £100 to it (S. 363). Seems to be called Randall s Wharf in… … Dictionary of London
Bockyng Wharf — See Brook s Wharf … Dictionary of London
Broke Wharf — See Brook s Wharf … Dictionary of London
Broker's Wharf — Between Dunghill Lane and Hamond s Lane, in Queenhithe Ward (Strype, ed. 1720, I. iii. 218). See Brook s Wharf … Dictionary of London
Dookynges Wharf — See Brook s Wharf … Dictionary of London
Cooks Wharf — Coordinates: 51°50′10″N 0°39′18″W / 51.836°N 0.655°W / 51.836; 0.655 Cooks Wharf is a hamlet in the … Wikipedia
High Timber Street — South out of Upper Thames Street at No. 42, and extending east and west between Broken Wharf and Brook s Wharf (P.O. Directory). In Queenhithe Ward. First mention: O. and M. 1677. Former names : la Tymberhethe, Tymberhuth, 56 H. III.… … Dictionary of London
Dunghill Lane — South out of High Timber Street to Brook s Wharf. East of Broken Wharf. In Queenhithe Ward (L. and P. Commonw. 1654 5, VIII. p. 10 Boyle, 1799). Gardeners lane, now called Dunghill lane (P.C. 1732). See Gardner s Lane … Dictionary of London