- Charterhouse Street
- North-east from Holborn Circus at No. 10 to 22 Charterhouse Square. The western end is in Farringdon Ward Without, the north-eastern portion in the Boroughs of Holborn and Finsbury, outside the City boundary (P.O. Directory).Formed 1869-75 on the site of Chick Lane, Newcastle Court, Old Brewhouse Yard, etc. (q.v.).It has now absorbed at its eastern end the street which was formerly until 1881 called Charterhouse Lane.The street formerly known as Charterhouse Street ran north and south extending north out of Long Lane to Charterhouse Square (Strype, ed. 1720-O.S. 1848-51), and is now called Hayne Street (q.v.).
A Dictionary of London. Henry A Harben. 1918.
Look at other dictionaries:
Charterhouse Street — The former Central Cold Store on Charterhouse Street Coordinates … Wikipedia
Charterhouse Square — Charterhouse Hospital in around 1770 … Wikipedia
Charterhouse Lane — North east out of Charterhouse Street to Charterhouse Square, outside the City boundary (O.S. 1880). In Horwood it extended further west to St. John Street, Charterhouse Street not being then made. First mention: 10 Ed. IV. (Anc. Deeds,… … Dictionary of London
Charterhouse Rents — Rerydosts (open fire hearth (Haliwell), and a hayloft under, dangerous for fire, found in Charterhouse Rents in parish of St. Martin Outwich, and mentioned in a wardmote inquest of Broad Street Ward, 15 H. VIII. 1523 (L. and P. H. VIII. Pt. 2 … Dictionary of London
Hayne Street — North out of Long Lane, at No. 21, to Charterhouse Square (P.O. Directory). The southern end is in Farringdon Ward Without, the northern end being outside the City boundary. First mention: 1871. Former name : Charterhouse Street… … Dictionary of London
Farringdon Street — South from Charterhouse Street to Fleet Street at Ludgate Circus (P.O. Directory). Erected over the Fleet Ditch on the removal of the old Fleet Market 1826 30, the reconstructed market being known as Farringdon Market. Fleet Ditch has… … Dictionary of London
Lindsey Street — North out of Long Lane, at No. 23, to Charterhouse Street. The southern end is in Farringdon Ward Without, the northern end outside the City boundary (P.O. Directory). It lies at the eastern end of Smithfield Market. It covers the site… … Dictionary of London
Cologne Charterhouse — View over the former Cologne Charterhouse with the Carthusian church (St. Barbara s). To the right are the conventual buildings, while to the left behind the church is the red brick chapter house. In front of the church are the sacristy, the Lady … Wikipedia
Carthusian Street — West out of Aldersgate Street, at 129, to 2 Charterhouse Square, the southern side in Aldersgate Ward Without, on the northern boundary of the Ward (P.O. Directory). The northern side of the street is in the Borough of Finsbury. Built… … Dictionary of London
The Charterhouse — Between Goswell Road east and St. John Street Clerkenwell, west, outside the bars of Aldersgate Ward Without. Foundation : Michael de Northburgh, Bishop of London, by his Will left £2000 for the foundation of a House according to the ritual … Dictionary of London