- Copthall Avenue
- South out of London Wall at No. 50 to Copthall Buildings (P.O. Directory). In Broad Street Ward and Coleman Street Ward.Formed May, 1890.It occupies the site of "Leathersellers Buildings" and "Little Bell Alley" (q.v.).
A Dictionary of London. Henry A Harben. 1918.
Look at other dictionaries:
Copthall Buildings — East out of the southern end of Copthall Avenue to Throgmorton Avenue (P.O. Directory). In Coleman Street Ward. First mention: Lockie, 1810. Former names : Great Bell Alley (part) (Horwood, 1799), east of Little Bell Alley. Bell Alley,… … Dictionary of London
Little Bell Alley — South from Leathersellers Buildings to Copthall Buildings on the boundary of Broad Street and Coleman Street Wards (O.S. 1880). First mention: P.C. 1732. It seems to be shown but not named in O. and M. 1677, and the northern portion is… … Dictionary of London
Drapers' Gardens — is a site in the City of London at the junction of Throgmorton Avenue and Copthall Avenue on land owned by the Drapers Company, originally forming gardens but used for major office blocks from the 1960s. Contents 1 Seifert skyscraper 2 New… … Wikipedia
Coleman Street Ward School — On the south side of London Wall, at 17 Copthall Avenue and Crosskey Court, London Wall (P.O. Directory). In Broad Street Ward. Formerly at the northern end of Little Swan Alley (O.S. 1880), facing the back gate of Old Bethlehem Hospital… … Dictionary of London
Langthorn Court — West out of Copthall Avenue (L.C.C. List, 1912). In Coleman Street Ward. First mention: Boyle, 1799 Lockie, 1810. Former names : Langhorn Court, Longthorn Court (Horwood, 1799, also in Boyle, 1799). Named after the owner or builder … Dictionary of London
Leathersellers' Buildings — South out of London Wall to Little Bell Alley, in Broad Street Ward (Horwood, 1799 O.S.). Site occupied by : Angel Alley (O. and M. 1677). Thompsons Rents (W. Stow, 1722 London Guide, 1758). Sedgwick s Rents (P.C. 1732 Boyle, 1799).… … Dictionary of London
Leathersellers' Hall — At the east end of Saint Helen s Place, at No. 13 (P.O. Directory). In Bishopsgate Ward Within. Erected in 1878. Architect, G. A. Wilson. The original Hall was the Hall of the dissolved Priory of St. Helen s purchased with other… … Dictionary of London
Levels — As indicated s.v. London, the levels of the City have varied considerably from time to time since its foundation, with the result that the present streets and buildings are at a much higher level than those of the ancient City. The subject is… … Dictionary of London
Moorgate Street Buildings — On the east side of Moorgate Street, at No. 20, to Copthall Avenue (P.O. Directory). In Coleman Street Ward. First mention: O.S.1875. Former name: White s Alley, 1657 (L. and P. Commonwealth, D.S. xI. 48, to O.S. 1848 51). Pump Court … Dictionary of London
Pitcher's Court — At the eastern end of Moorgate Street Buildings, with a passage into Little Bell Alley. In Coleman Street Ward (O.S. 1880). First mention: Strype, 1720. Other name: Pitches Court (Horwood, 1799). Removed for the formation of Copthall… … Dictionary of London