- 1) West out of Farringdon Street, at No. 82, to Bride Street (P.O. Directory). In Farringdon Ward Without.First mention: "Harpe Alley," 1653-4 (Ct. H.W. II. 769).It extended formerly to Shoe Lane, and is so represented in O.S. 1848-51. This western end was removed for the formation of St. Bride's Street.Also called "Bugg Alley" in P.C. 1732.Name probably derived from the sign.2) On the west side of Mincing Lane, used in 1656 as almshouses. The tenements so called, together with Lilly Alley and other messuages, seem to have formed part of William Sevenoak's property, known as Sevenoak's lands. William Sevenoak by his will 1426 gave an annuity of 10 marks charged on three tenements in Mincing Lane and one in Tower Street to St. Dunstan in the East Church, and afterwards the whole of the premises came into possession of the parish. Harp Alley and Lilly Alley no longer exist, but the site is now occupied by Nos. 12-16 Mincing Lane and 87 and 88 Great Tower Street, held by Trustees for the parish (Endowed Charities, St. Dunstan in the East parish, 1902, p. 2).
A Dictionary of London. Henry A Harben. 1918.
Look at other dictionaries:
Harp Alley, Knightrider Street — See Harp Court … Dictionary of London
Anchor and Harp Alley, Aldgate High Street — See Anchor and Hart Alley … Dictionary of London
Harp Court — East out of Grub Street, at No. 43, in Cripplegate Ward Without, to the City Police Station in Moor Lane (P.O. Directory). First mention: Harp Alley and Clun s Alley (q.v.), O. and M. 1677. Lunds Alley (Strype, ed. 1720). Called Harp… … Dictionary of London
Harp Court, Alley, Yard — In Black Horse Alley, Fleet Street, at its northern end, in Farringdon Ward Without (P.C. 1732 Elmes, 1831). Lockie says it communicated with Fleet Market. Hart Court in O. and M. 1677. Described on a tradesman s token issued 1649 72 … Dictionary of London
Harp Court, Alley — South out of Knightrider Street west of Lambeth Hill, in Castle Baynard Ward (Boyle, 1799). Harp Alley (P.C. 1732 Rocque, 1746). Hart Court (O. and M. 1677). Site has been rebuilt and is now occupied by offices, etc … Dictionary of London
Church Alley — 1) See St. Dunstan s Alley. 2) West out of Basinghall Street at No. 70, leading to Three Nun Court (P.O. Directory). In Bassishaw Ward. First mention: Strype, ed. 172O. Former name : Bassishaw Alley (O. and M. 1677 Hatton, 1708).… … Dictionary of London
Clun's Alley, Yard — East out of Grub Street, in Cripplegate Ward Without (O. and M. 1677 Boyle, 1799). Leading into Harp Alley, Moor Lane. Lunds Alley in Strype. Now Harp Court (q.v.) … Dictionary of London
Lund's Alley — East out of Grub Street to Moor Lane, in Cripplegate Ward Without (Strype, ed. 1720). Called Cluns Alley in O. and M. 1677, and leading into Harp Alley, now Harp Court (q.v.) … Dictionary of London
Churchyard Alley — 1) In Jewin Street. Mentioned 1678 (H. MSS. Com. 11th Rep. II. 57). No later mention. 2) East out of Shoe Lane to St. Andrew Holborn Churchyard, in Farringdon Ward Without (O. and M. 1677 Boyle, 1799). First mention: 1660 (L. and P … Dictionary of London
Anchor and Hart Alley — North out of Aldgate High Street, near the eastern boundary of Portsoken Ward and within the ward. Anchor and Hart Alley (O. and M. 1677). Anchor and Harp Alley (Strype, 1720 and 1755). Site rebuilt and seems now covered by Nos. 36 and 38… … Dictionary of London