London House Yard
- 1) North out of St. Paul's Churchyard, at Nos. 74 and 79, to Paternoster Row (P.O. Directory). In Castle Baynard Ward.First mention: O. and M. 1677.The site was formerly occupied by the Bishop of London's Palace (q.v.).Converted into tenements in Strype's time and called the Bishop of London's Yard.2) On the west side of Aldersgate Street, in Aldersgate Ward Without (Lond. Guide, 1758-Elmes, 1831).So called, as containing London House (q.v.), at one time the town house of the Bishops of London.
A Dictionary of London. Henry A Harben. 1918.
Look at other dictionaries:
Play House Yard — East out of Water Lane, Blackfriars, to Church Entry. In Farringdon Ward Within (P.O. Directory). First mention: 1637 (L. and P. Chas. I. IX. 180). In Horwood, 1799, the eastern end is called Glass House Yard (q.v.). Called Glass… … Dictionary of London
India House Yard — West out of Lime Street at the south side of the East India House. In Lime Street Ward (Rocque, 1746). Site covered by the East India House after its enlargement in 1799 … Dictionary of London
Printing House Yard — By White s Alley, Coleman Street. Named from a large printing house for woollens there (Dodsley, 1761). Not named in the maps … Dictionary of London
Orchard House Yard — was at Leamouth, on the River Lea at Bow Creek. The SS Robin was built at Orchard House Yard in 1890, and is currently moored a short distance away at West India Quay in London Docklands. External links Orchard House an account dating from 1935… … Wikipedia
Counting House Yard — South from the Town Ditch to Christ Church, on the east side of Christ s Hospital (Rocque, 1746). In Farringdon Ward Within. Site now covered by new General Post Office buildings … Dictionary of London
Meeting House Yard — 1) In Broad Street (Strype, ed. 1755 Boyle, 1799). Not named in the maps. 2) West out of St. Martin s Lane at No. 20 (Lockie, 1810 Elmes, 1831). Not named in the maps. 3) In Little St. Helen s (Strype, ed. 1755 Boyle, 1799). Not … Dictionary of London
Glass House Yard, Blackfriars — Between Church Entry, Playhouse Yard and Water Lane, south of Apothecaries Hall, in Farringdon Ward Within (Horwood, 1799). Previously it included Playhouse Yard and extended to Water Lane (O. and M. 1677 Rocque, 1746). Occupied part of… … Dictionary of London
Glass House Yard, Goodman's Yard — West out of Princes Street and north to Goodman s Yard. Partly in Portsoken Ward (P.C. 1732 Elmes, 1831). Site covered by the London and Blackwall Railway (O.S. 1848 51). Named after the glass house there (q.v.) … Dictionary of London
Meeting House Yard, Gravel Lane — South west out of Stoney Lane to Gravel Lane (P.C. 1732 O.S. 25 in. 1880). Former name : Meeting House Court (Strype, 1720 Elmes, 1831). Removed for the erection of the Artizans Dwellings, 1884, and formation of Artizan Street … Dictionary of London
Printing House Yard, Blackfriars — See Printing House Square … Dictionary of London