- Magpye Court
- 1) West out of Aldersgate Street at No. 180, opposite the Castle and Falcon Inn, in Aldersgate Ward Without (Elmes, 1831).First mention: "Magpy Alley" (W. Stow, 1722).Former name : "Harrow Alley" (O. and M. 1677).The site seems now to be occupied by the new General Post Office buildings and St. Botolph Aldersgate Churchyard.2) Out of Great Old Bailey, in Farringdon Ward Without (P.C. 1732-Boyle, 1799).Not named in the maps.The Magpye and Stump Coach Office was at 117 Newgate Street, near the Old Bailey (Lockie, 1810 and 1816).
A Dictionary of London. Henry A Harben. 1918.
Look at other dictionaries:
Church Row — 1) South out of Fenchurch Street, west of the church of St. Katherine Coleman to Fenchurch Street Station (P.O. Directory). In Aldgate Ward. First mention: Lockie, 1810. Former names : Church Court (Horwood, 1799). Magpye Alley (Strype… … Dictionary of London
Harrow Alley — 1) West out of Aldersgate Street, in Aldersgate Ward Without (O. and M. 1677 Strype, 1755). Seems to be called Magpye Alley in Rocque and Magpie Court (q.v.) in Horwood. Probably named after the sign. 2) North out of Fleet Lane, in… … Dictionary of London
Magpie Alley — West out of Whitefriars Street, at No. 20, to George Yard, within the precinct of Whitefriars, in Farringdon Ward Without (P.O. Directory). First mention: In P. Clerks, 1732, described as Magpye alley, or glasshouse alley in Great Ashentree … Dictionary of London