- South-west from No.70 Old Broad Street to 41 Lothbury. In Broad Street Ward (P.O. Directory).First mention: "Throkmorton Street" (S. 1598, p.137). "Throgmorton Street" (ib. 140). Formerly called" Broad Street" (q.v.). Parish of St. Bartholomew the Little described as in Broad Street, 36 H. VIII. 1544 (L. and P. H. VIII. XIX. Pt. 2, p.188).Named after Sir Nicholas Throgmorton.Roman well found here at the corner of Bartholomew Lane at a depth of 12 ft., also Roman and Gaulish pottery.
A Dictionary of London. Henry A Harben. 1918.
Look at other dictionaries:
Throgmorton Street — is a street in the City of London between Lothbury to the west and Old Broad Street to the east. It is named after Sir Nicholas Throckmorton, chief banker of England in the reign of Queen Elizabeth and head of an ancient Warwickshire family. The… … Wikipedia
Throgmorton Street — The English center of finance and business Throgmorton Street was named for Sir Nicholas Throgmorton (1515 1571), head of the Warwickshire family and ambassador to France and Scotland in the reign of Elizabeth I. The stock exchange is situated … Dictionary of eponyms
Throgmorton Street — … Useful english dictionary
Angel Court, Throgmorton Street — North out of Throgmorton Street at No. 34a (P.O. Directory). It leads to Copthall Court and is in Broad Street and Coleman Street Wards. First mention: O. and M. 1677. Spelt Angell Court (Horwood, 1799). Strype describes it as in his… … Dictionary of London
New Court, Throgmorton Street — South out of Throgmorton Street, in Broad Street Ward, at No.8 (P.O. Directory). First mention; O. and M. 1677 … Dictionary of London
Bartholomew Court, Throgmorton Street — See Throgmorton Court … Dictionary of London
Crown Court, Throgmorton Street — See White Lyon Court … Dictionary of London
Falcon Court, Throgmorton Street — See Faulcon Court … Dictionary of London
Katherine Court, Throgmorton Street — See Catherine Court1 … Dictionary of London
Throgmorton Court — South Qut of Throgmorton Street. In Broad Street Ward (Horwood, 1799). Former names: Bartholomew Court (O. and M. 1677 Boyle, 1799). Site is now occupied by the Alliance Assurance Co. s office. Named Bartholomew Court after the Church … Dictionary of London