Bishopsgate, Hospital Without
- The references under this name are very numerous, and they seem to refer both to Bethlehem Hospital and to St. Mary Spital, although most of the references to the "New" Hospital without Bishopsgate seem to refer to St. Mary Spital.Dugdale says that St. Mary Spitel was refounded during the 13th century, and was thenceforward spoken of as the "New" Hospital without Bishopsgate.
A Dictionary of London. Henry A Harben. 1918.
Look at other dictionaries:
(St.) Mary without Bishopsgate, Hospital of — See Old Bethlehem Hospital and St. Mary Spital … Dictionary of London
New Hospital without Bishopsgate — See St. Mary Spital and Old Bethlehem Hospital … Dictionary of London
Hospital (New) — See St. Mary Bethlehem, and New Hospital without Bishopsgate … Dictionary of London
Bishopsgate Ward — One of the twenty six Wards of London, west of and adjoining to Aldgate and Portsoken Wards. It is of large extent and consists of two parts, the Ward Within and the Ward Without, the one part wholly included within the City walls, while the… … Dictionary of London
Old Bethlehem Hospital — On the east side of Bishopsgate Street, in Bishopsgate Ward Without. Founded by Simon Fitz Mary, Sheriff in 1247, as a Priory of Canons, with brethren and sisters (S. 166) of the Order of St. Mary of Bethlehem. In 1257 Henry III. granted a… … Dictionary of London
Metropolitan Free Hospital — On the east side of Devonshire Square (O.S. 1880). In Bishopsgate Ward Without. The site was formerly occupied by Meeting House Yard (q.v.) and now by the Metropolitan Railway lines … Dictionary of London
St Sepulchre-without-Newgate — For the ancient and civil parishes, see St Sepulchre. St. Sepulchre without Newgate Photo of St. Sepulchre without Newgate Country United Kingdom Denomination Church of England … Wikipedia
List of abbeys and priories in England — Contents 1 Overview 1.1 Article layout 2 Abbreviations and key … Wikipedia
(St.) Mary Spital — In the parish of St. Botolph without Bishopsgate in the Ward of Bishopsgate Without, extending from Berwards Lane (? Artillery Lane) south to the parish of St. Leonard Shoreditch on the north and from the King s street west (? Bishopsgate… … Dictionary of London
Le Crowne — 1) Tenement in St. Magnus parish, formerly called le Glene, 23 H. VI. (Anc. Deeds, C. 508). In Bridge Ward Within. In tenure of the City Chamberlain, 34 H. VIII. 1542 (L. and P. H. VIII. XVII. 394). Not further identified. 2) In… … Dictionary of London