(St.) Botolph Aldgate Charity School
- In Victualling Office Square. On the east side of Little Tower Hill, west of and facing the Mint (Lockie, 1810).Founded in 1673 for the parish of St. Botolph's. The first Protestant parochial charity school in London, and the first to adopt the national system of education. The freehold was purchased in 1792, and the school erected for 60 boys and 40 girls.These buildings were occupied until 1901, when the children were moved to Sir John Cass' Institute (End. Ch. Rep. p. 45, St. Botolph Aldgate Parish), the site being required to make the Tower Bridge Northern Approach.
A Dictionary of London. Henry A Harben. 1918.
Look at other dictionaries:
Charity School — See St. Botolph Aldgate Charity School … Dictionary of London
St Martin-in-the-Fields — For the civil parish abolished in 1922, see St Martin in the Fields (parish). For the chamber orchestra, see Academy of St Martin in the Fields. St Martin in the Fields St Martin in the Fields, London Country United Ki … Wikipedia
Henry Augustus Rawes — Henry Augustus Rawes † Catholic Encyclopedia ► Henry Augustus Rawes Oblate of St. Charles, hymn writer and preacher, b. at Easington near Durham, England, 11 Dec., 1826; d. at Brighton, 24 April, 1885. Educated at the grammar school,… … Catholic encyclopedia