Le Bretask, Tower
- There seem to have been at least two houses bearing this name in the City in the 14th century.One near the Tower and the other at Dowgate.The one near the Tower seems to have been erected at the expense of the City about the year 1339, for in the accounts of the Chamberlain of the Guildhall for that year is included the item "money borrowed for piles and making a bretask" (Cal. L. Bk. F. p. 16).This bretask or fortified house was used by the City as a military storehouse, and its contents, including 7 springalds, 380 quarels feathered with "latone," and 500 quarels feathered with wood, are set out in this Letter Book at p. 1.
A Dictionary of London. Henry A Harben. 1918.
Look at other dictionaries:
Le Bretask, Dowgate — There was a house of this name in the parish of All Hallows the Less in Dowgate Ward mentioned in the Husting Rolls 62 (102) and 76 (262) (Cal. L. Bk. F. p. 1 note). In 1334 Nicholas de Farndon gave it under the name le Bretasse in Thames… … Dictionary of London