- Extended south from Bride Lane to the Thames and west from New Bridge Street to the City of London Gas Works. Extra parochial. In Farringdon Ward Without.Certain privileges appertained to it, as comprising the site of the old Royal Palace of Bridewell, and continued to be exercised by the inhabitants until they were abolished in 1697.The chapel of Bridewell served for the inhabitants of the precinct.
A Dictionary of London. Henry A Harben. 1918.
Look at other dictionaries:
Bridewell — A place erected by Henry VIII. to the west of Fleet River, between the river and Whitefriars (S. 70), c. 1522. In 1531 Sir Wm. Weston, prior of St. John s Hospital, Clerkenwell, made a grant of one tenement and fifteen gardens, on which… … Dictionary of London
Bridewell Place — West out of New Bridge Street at No. 12 (P.O. Directory) and south to Tudor Street. In Farringdon Ward Without, in precinct of Bridewell. Erected 1878, on part of site of Old Bridewell Palace and Hospital … Dictionary of London
List of civil parishes in the City of London — This is a list of civil parishes in the ceremonial county of the City of London. There are currently no civil parishes in the City of London and it is entirely unparished. Although it is possible to create new civil parishes in a London… … Wikipedia
Bear Alley, Fleet Ditch — West from Fleet Ditch and south to Bride Lane, in Bridewell precinct, in Farringdon Ward Without (O. and M. 1677 Boyle, 1799). The site has been rebuilt, and the northern portion is occupied by Bride Court (q.v.). The Market house for… … Dictionary of London
Crown Alley — In Bridewell precinct by Fleet Ditch (W. Stow, 1722). Not named in the maps … Dictionary of London
Half Paved Court — East out of Dorset Street to Bridewell Precinct, in Farringdon Ward Without (O. and M. 1677 O.S. 1880). Rebuilt and renamed Dorset Buildings (q.v.) … Dictionary of London
Whitefriars — A precinct or liberty comprising the site of the former House of Carmelite or White Friars on the south side of Fleet Street between Bridewell and the Temple. Site marked by the precinct of Whitefriars, O.S. 1880. Fratres beatae Mariae… … Dictionary of London
Liberty (division) — A Liberty was a local government unit in England. Originating in the Middle Ages, liberties were areas of widely variable extent which were independent of the usual system of hundreds and boroughs for a number of different reasons, usually to do… … Wikipedia
Black Friars — A house of Dominican Friars near Ludgate on the site known later as the precinct of Blackfriars. Founded in 1221, by Hubert de Burgh, who gave the Friars land in Holborn for their house. Gift confirmed to the Canons of the Preaching Friars… … Dictionary of London
London — /lun deuhn/, n. 1. Jack, 1876 1916, U.S. short story writer and novelist. 2. a metropolis in SE England, on the Thames: capital of the United Kingdom. 3. City of, an old city in the central part of the former county of London: the ancient nucleus … Universalium